Metal, Hardcore, Punk, Death Metal, Thrash Metal... whatever

Metal, Hardcore, Punk, Death Metal, Thrash Metal... Qwerty and miserable, always wanting more.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Thanks, MEGADETH

In 1990 I was REALLY into thrash metal; almost to a fault. I think I liked every band that was playing in the genre. Hell, even if I didn’t like a band, I probably at least liked their new, popular song (IE: “Practice What You Preach” by Testament) and the more Surf Line Original Jams involved, the better. I was a dork; I couldn’t pull off all black, a bullet belt and leather biker jacket, but I COULD wear the shit out of a Hawaiian shirt, some clam diggers and my jean jacket with an Anthrax “I Am The Law” back patch on it. Eventually, I moved on to Army/ Navy surplus and a Slaytanic Wehrmacht shirt (I have photo graphic evidence of this somewhere) but, like I said, I was a dork.

That same year, a little movie and soundtrack called ‘Shocker” came out. Shocker was a low budget horror film; made in the hopes of sparking a new Wes Craven trilogy. The soundtrack contained a heavy metal version of the song “No More Mister Nice Guy” by “Big Four” thrashers Megadeth. Now, I never liked Megadeth much. I bought a few of their releases on cassette and wasn’t impressed. BUT as I stated in the prior paragraph, I tended to like the newer popular song. I loved ‘No More Mister Nice Guy” and promptly purchased the Cassingle to jam in my Walkman on the bus ride to high school.


I’m not exactly sure at what point I became aware that NMMNG (as we shall refer to it from here on out) was actually an ALICE COOPER song; but I’m certain it was AFTER I fell in love with Dave Mustaine’s hilariously whiny version.  Looking back, I want to slap myself. The Alice Cooper original is a great look into early 70’s pop smart shock rock, whereas the Megadeth cover (especially the video) feels like extreme self-parody. I can only imagine the phone call from the execs that asked Dave to cover the tunes, where Dave replies “yeah, I’m not a nice guy; I’m a sneering manchild, I’ll DO IT!” I am an adult now and I have seen the errors of my previous ways.

NMMNG is probably the most popular song on 1973’s “Billion Dollar Babies” and is most definitely one of Alice Copper’s signature tracks. Though I am not a “greatest hits” kind of guy, when I want to rock some, uh, Cooper, I throw on 1974’s GREATEST HITS and rock the fucking Cooper out. To everything I believe in music wise, this is probably a huge affront; but when I can attribute the beginnings of my love for Alice Cooper to a really lame cover, I think it is absolutely fitting. I saw Megadeth for the first and last time in 1991 (Clash of the Titans, baby!) and Alice Cooper (solo) most recently last year and I have to say, Cooper has held up really well, whereas Megadeth has not. So, hey, either way: thanks Megadeth. Thanks for leading me to a great song and band that can get me out of the grown up funk I often find myself in.

4 comments: